I enjoyed this recipe which I got from here. It served four people using 8 cute little peppers rather than 4 big ones. I found the text density and lack of photos a bit hard to follow, but it’s all there.
Preparation time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes.
4 medium red peppers
3tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
1-2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
175g/6oz long grain brown rice
350ml/14floz water/light vegetable stock
small pinch of saffron or tumeric
juice of Â½ lemon
50g/2oz frozen peas, defrosted
3 tomatoes, chopped
2tbsp black olives, sliced and pitted
2tbsp fresh basil leaves, chopped
salt & freshly ground pepper
for the sauce:
1 small onion, peeled and roughly chopped
2tsp olive oil
85g/3oz cashew nuts, ground
vegetarian stock cube
1. Pre-heat the oven to 200Â°C/400Â°F/Gas Mark 6. Cut-the tops off the peppers and save. Remove the seeds. Simmer the pepper bases for 5 minutes to soften, then drain and refresh in cold water. Use 1tbsp of olive oil to oil an oven-proof dish and brush the pepper bases and tops.
2. Heat the remaining oil in a medium saucepan. SautÃ© the onion and garlic for 3-4 minutes until softened. Add the rice and stir for 1 minute to coat with oil.
3. Add the water or stock to the saffron or turmeric and lemon juice, cover, bring to the boil, and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes until the rice is tender. Remove from the heat. Add the peas, tomatoes, olives and basil leaves. Stir to combine all the ingredients and season to taste.
4. Spoon the mixture into the pepper bases and cover with the tops. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until the tops of the peppers are tender and golden.
5. For the sauce, sautÃ© the onion in the olive oil until soft. Meanwhile liquidize the ground cashew nuts, stock cube and water in a blender. Add the contents of the liquidizer to the onions and heat gently for 2-3 minutes stirring all the time. Return the mixture to the blender and liquidize until smooth. Re-heat the sauce gently, adding more water if a thinner consistency is desired.
6. Serve the stuffed-peppers and cashew sauce with an Italian tomato salad and garlic bread.